Everything you need to know about visiting Abu Dhabi in May
Abu Dhabi enjoys mild to hot weather in May, transitioning quickly from a brief spring to the hot days of summer.
The temperature overnight in May bearly dips below 30°C, so evenings can feel warm and muggy, even if humidity is not too high at this time of year.
Typical Abu Dhabi Weather in May
Abu Dhabi’s average daytime maximum temperature in May is 35.5°C (95.9°F), with highs as much as 45.7°C (114.3°F) and average lows overnight down to 28.3°C (82.9°F).
In May, the air temperature and the sea temperature significantly increase. You should expect sea temperatures on average of 29°C (84.2°F). The minimum sea temperature you should expect is 26.7°C (81.9°F through to a maximum of 31.3°C (86.5°F). You can capture some gorgeous beachy days by month-end, though you’ll definitely want to retreat indoors at the peak times of the day.
Make no mistake, no matter what time of year you visit Abu Dhabi; you will still want a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses – you can find our full packing list tips for Abu Dhabi here.
Weather information sourced from the National Centre of Meteorology Climate Report 2003-2019 for Abu Dhabi Corniche and seatemperature.org
Abu Dhabi Special Events in May 2024
We are still updating this monthly guide to Abu Dhabi events for 2024 – dates and details below may still reference 2023
As the temperatures start to rise, many venues will try to squeeze out the last of the cooler weather for Al Fresco events before the real heat of the summer hits.
- Abu Dhabi International Book Fair will be held at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre from the 22nd to the 28th of May.
- Check out the Bollywood Superstars: A short history of Indian Cinema special exhibition at the Louvre, which runs until June 4th.
- Bollywood film lovers should get ready for a night to remember as the IIFA (Indian International Film Academy) Awards hit the Etihad Arena on May 27th.
- If you love books, then you’re in for a treat as the world’s largest floating book fair Logos Hope returns to Abu Dhabi. In dock at the Abu Dhabi cruise terminal between the 18th of May and the 4th of June.
Live Music, Theatre and Comedy
- German rock sensation Scorpions will be holding a 40th-anniversary show on 17 May – at Etihad Arena
- Comedy act Jo Koy World Tour – 26 May – Etihad Arena
- The Abu Dhabi Grand Slam Jiu-Jitsu World Tour kicks off on the 5th May at the Mubadala Arena.
- You can catch local football team Al Wahda FC in a match against Bani Yas FC at the Al Nahyan stadium.
- Look out for Ladies’ night deals and special offers here.
Suggested Abu Dhabi Activities in May 2024
As the weather is really getting hot during May, it’s time to seek out indoor activities during the day, then finish your outdoor activities in the evenings when the temperature drops (a little!). Why not try:
- A morning spent exploring the Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi
- An afternoon spent at the Presidential Palace Qasr al Watan
- Enjoy sundowners from Observation 300 in Etihad Towers, or Rays Bar, part of Conrad Hotel Abu Dhabi
- Alternatively, get an early start and go kayaking in the mangroves at Jubail Mangrove Park, Jubail Island or explore the Eastern Mangrove by Kayak
- Adrenaline seekers will love the indoor theme park Ferrari World on Yas Island, a perfect escape from the heat with plenty of thrills and spills.
- Sun worshippers who’ve come for the hotter weather in the UAE will love a luxury beach club day (if you’re not already staying at one of the city’s incredible beach hotels)
An Abu Dhabi Desert Safari in May? Some operators will continue to operate evening tours into the desert well into the early summer. Whilst yes, it’s doable, it is still hot! With kids or elderly members of your group, we would recommend against it over the summer. However, if you have a very high heat tolerance, go for it! It will be much quieter to take a desert safari in May than in the peak winter months.
Day Trips from Abu Dhabi in May 2024
Why not consider:
- Visiting the cultural highlights of Al Ain on a day trip – see Al Ain Palace Museum, the oases of Al Ain, Qasr al Muwaiji
- A day trip to neighbouring Dubai – catch the Museum of the Future, step back in time at the fully refurbished Al Shindagha District or head out on the water with a Dubai Marina tour.
Abu Dhabi with Kids in May 2024
In a city built to cope with the heat, there’s plenty of fun still to be had indoors and out in May – just bear in mind that midday heat, so time your activities carefully. Some May favourites in Abu Dhabi include:
- Yas Waterworld – the region’s award-winning water park on Yas Island, is an absolute crowd-pleaser. The weather in May is perfect as you’ll get a refreshing treat in the water, but not too hot for sitting poolside. They cater well to all age groups, from babies to adults.
- Warner Bros World – the entirely indoor theme park is the biggest indoor theme park in the world! Boasting 29 rides and attractions focused around Looney Toon classics and DC Comic favourites, it’s the perfect way to spend a day out of the heat.
- CLYMB Abu Dhabi – Based adjacent to Yas Mall and Ferrari World, here you’ll find the world’s largest indoor flight chamber and dozens of bouldering and rock climbing walls to go and burn some energy!
Still seeking out some more indoor ideas with kids? Check out this guide for the best of Abu Dhabi indoors.
Before you go… Important things to consider when planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page; it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner