Everything you need to know about visiting Abu Dhabi in October
Take me back to September | Jump forward to November
Depending on what time of the month you are looking at, October can be a great time to visit Abu Dhabi. The peak summer temperatures noticeably drop off by mid-month, and by the end of October, there are signs that the cooler days of winter might be on their way.
It is a great time of year for beach weather if you like your heat, although we’d still recommend you stay indoors between midday and about 4:00 pm and make the most of early mornings and cooler evenings.
Further Reading: The best time of year to visit Abu Dhabi
Please note events in this post are yet to be updated for 2023.
Abu Dhabi Weather in October
Abu Dhabi’s average daytime maximum temperature in October is 33.9°C (93°F), with highs as much as 41.6°C (106.9°F) and average lows overnight down to 28°C (82.4°F).
In October, you should expect sea temperatures on average of 31.6°C (88.9°F). Maximum sea temperatures are expected of 33°C (90.3°F) through to a minimum of 30.2°C (87.5°F).
Make no mistake, no matter what time of year you visit Abu Dhabi, you will still want a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses – you can find our full packing list tips for Abu Dhabi here.
Weather information sourced from the National Centre of Meteorology Climate Report 2003-2019 for Abu Dhabi Corniche and seatemperature.org
Abu Dhabi Special Events in October 2023
As the city starts to come alive after the long hot summer, October seems to be jammed packed with things to do!
We are still updating this monthly guide to Abu Dhabi events for 2023 – dates and details below may still reference 2022
- On the 8th and 9th of October, children of all ages can be delighted by the Dubai Panto team’s musical adaption of the well-loved Italian story Pinocchio at Theatre by Erth.
- Enjoy Disney on Ice live at the Etihad Arena this October. Mickey and friends will be skating their way through a fun-packed, sing-along show from the 12th to the 16th of October.
- If music is what you’re looking for, you can catch Liam Gallagher, The Kaiser Chiefs and Clean Bandit as well as the UAE Battle of the Bands at the Club Social weekend, Yas Links, between 28th and 30th of October.
- Prominent Indian musician and composer, academy award winner A.R. Rahman, will be performing live at the Etihad Arena on the 29th of October. The lineup will include music from some of the 100 or more film scores composed by Rahman, as well as synchronised choreography and stunning visual effects.
- The Etihad Arena will host two pre-season NBA games on October 6th and 8th. The Atlanta Hawks will take on the Milwaukee Bucks in the first-ever NBA games in the UAE.
- The 17th to the 23rd of October bring UFC’s fight showdown as Oliviera takes on Makhachev at the Etihad Arena.
Festivals and Outdoor Events
- The much-loved Al Dhafra Festival kicks off on the 28th of October in the Al Gharbia region near Madinat Zayed. The festival celebrates Emirati heritage and includes falconry displays, camel and Saluki racing, and even a camel beauty contest. For more details about the Al Dhafra festival, click here.
- The whole family can also enjoy watching an open-air movie together on Fridays and Saturdays at Umm Al Emarat Park. Take your picnic blanket, grab a spot by the big screen, and enjoy a family blockbuster as the sun sets!
Other Events in Abu Dhabi this October
- Perhaps not something that you would anticipate from the UAE is the celebration of Oktoberfest. In emulation of the traditional German beer festival, many hotels have their own beer gardens set up with a variety of German food and continental beers on offer. From the 1st-31st October, you can enjoy traditional Bavarian cuisine and live music at The Westin Hotel. Saadiyat Beach Club will also host its own Oktoberfest event from the 29th of September to the 9th of October. A number of hotels have also planned Oktoberfest-themed brunches throughout October.
- Another celebration that does not exactly spring to mind when you think of the UAE is Halloween, yet in recent years, it’s become a big and well-loved event. Many hotels offer Halloween-themed brunches, afternoon teas, and even murder mystery nights. Most larger residential developments host Halloween parties, and many malls have Halloween treasure hunts. Last year the Galleria Mall went all-out with their ‘Monster Village’ and expected to return in a similar format – and look for Warner Bros World trick-or-treating events and lots of other spooky goings on!
You can learn more about current entry rules into Abu Dhabi here
Suggested Abu Dhabi Activities in October 2023
As the weather starts to cool, it’s time to start taking advantage of some of Abu Dhabi’s outdoor attractions. Some things you could try include:
- Take a kayak or eco-donut boat out onto the Eastern Mangrove
- Enjoy the spectacular Louvre, followed by afternoon tea at one of Saadiyat Island’s beautiful 5-star hotels.
- Take a tour of Qasr Al Hosn before taking a sunset cruise along the Corniche.
- Enjoy one of Abu Dhabi’s exclusive and luxurious beach clubs, or take in many of the free (or really cheap) public beaches.
- Stroll the Yas Bay Waterfront and enjoy some of the city’s best new restaurant openings and nightlife.
Day Trips from Abu Dhabi in October
If you want to head away from the beaches and malls of Abu Dhabi, here are a few suggestions of other places that you can visit within the UAE:
- Visit Al Ain, the garden city of Abu Dhabi, with its lush green oases and archaeological wonders. Visit the camel market and drive to the summit of Jebel Hafeet for beautiful views and some cool fresh air.
- Leave the city behind and head to the Al Dhafra festival.
- Head to Dubai, visit Legoland or one of the other theme parks at Dubai Parks and Resorts, or be enchanted by Dubai’s Miracle Garden, reopening in October for its winter season.
- Get out into the desert on a desert safari and get to grips with the UAE’s cultural heartland.
Abu Dhabi with Kids in October
With the cooler weather on its way, it’s a fabulous time of year to seek out more outdoor opportunities, albeit these will still be limited due to social distancing measures.
In October in Abu Dhabi, why not try:
- Take a splash in the fountains, then enjoy Cinema in the Park – Umm Al Emarat Park
- Visit the Jubail Mangrove Park
- Take a kid-friendly self-guided tour of the glimmering Qasr Al Watan – Presidential Palace
- A day out at Yas Waterworld on Yas Island
- For any really hot days, check out the revamped children’s museum at the Louvre
Check out the best things to do in Abu Dhabi every month here
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Find the latest Abu Dhabi COVID-19 Guidance here.
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Take me back to the Abu Dhabi Travel Blog
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner