Following the exciting announcement in October 2022 that A Harry Potter theme park would be added to Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi, the big question has been WHEN exactly will it open!
Is there an official opening date yet for Harry Potter Abu Dhabi?
No. Nothing has been formally announced, yet.
Whilst we are not an official source, we do drive past Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi several times a week and can tell you, at this point, there does not appear to be any new building in the adjacent vicinity of WB World.
Now, this could mean a few things:
- They could be adding Harry Potter within the existing 1.65 million square foot, entirely indoor theme park – but with existing attractions barely a few years old, it is unlikely they are removing any existing features to make way for a new themed land.
- They could also be opening the Wizarding World attraction at a different location on Yas Island; possible, but why create a second ‘campus’ of WB World when there’s plenty of land surrounding the existing building?
So our best guess as of the end of 2023 is that construction will start ‘soon’, but you’d expect a 1 to 2-year build period; we don’t think you’ll be seeing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Harry Potter World, or whatever they may call it, to open in Abu Dhabi until at least late 2025.
Now, we are very happy to be proved completely wrong on this point, but we thought we better add some clarity as many overseas visitors have misinterpreted publicly available information of ‘opening soon‘ to mean imminently soon; we want you to manage your expectations that at the very least, it is highly unlikely to be in 2023 and unless it’s an incredibly small and watered down version of its overseas counterparts, it won’t open in 2024.
Now, whilst this news might disappoint Potterheads, the great news is there’s still a tonne of fun theme parks and activities to enjoy on Yas Island prior to this exciting opening.
Theme Parks Currently on Yas Island
Yas Island, on the outskirts of the UAE capital Abu Dhabi, is currently home to four world-class and award-winning theme parks:
- Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi – themed around Looney Toon classic characters, Flinstones, and superheroes and villains from DC Comics – learn more here
- Ferrari World Abu Dhabi – mostly famous for having the fastest roller coaster in the world and many thrilling rides with a distinctly Italian sports car theme – learn more here
- Yas Waterworld – an award-winning outdoor water park with a local Emirati theme and over 40 rides and attractions – learn more here
- SeaWorld – the latest opening in 2023 is focused on marine life and houses the largest indoor aquarium, attached to the Yas SeaWorld Research and Rescue Center – learn more here
Can You Get Theme Park Packages in Abu Dhabi?
Absolutely, many visitors to Abu Dhabi come purely for theme parks, and you can get great hotel packages that include your daily theme park tickets.
- There are presently 10 hotels on Yas Island that you can look to stay in at different budget levels – two are fairly adjacent to WB World – The WB Hotel – Curio Collection by Hilton, and Doubletree By Hilton Abu Dhabi.
- High-end options include the W Abu Dhabi, straddling the Yas Marina Circuit Grand Prix racing track, and the Hilton Abu Dhabi on Yas Bay.
- Value options can be found at Yas Hotel Plaza, a grouping of 6 hotels covering popular chains, including Rotana and Crowne Plaza.
Frequently hotels in other parts of Abu Dhabi will also offer Yas Island theme park thickets – look for hotels and resorts on Saadiyat Island that may have special offers for this (you’re only about 15 minutes away by taxi) or even some city centre hotels.
What Will be at Harry Potter World Abu Dhabi?
The exact format and even the name of the Harry Potter theme park in Abu Dhabi remains a closely guarded secret – will they stick with the Wizarding World as used by Universal theme parks? Or using the Harry Potter World branding, similar to the UK, or are they coming up with a brand new name for this Middle East adventure park?
One thing is for sure, you can be almost certain you’ll be buying your butterbeer and walking Diagon Alley in wonderfully airconditioned indoor bliss – but when, what, and how much – stay tuned!
The official source will be via Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi website (we are only providing you with our views ‘on the ground’ as excited Abu Dhabi residents and theme park fans!)
Before you go… Important things to consider when planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page; it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner