Everything you need to know about visiting Abu Dhabi in August
Abu Dhabi experiences extremely hot and often humid weather throughout August.
It can be unbearable for many but is also low season, so you can bag yourself a bargain on accommodation and soak up the rays in relative peace if you don’t mind the heat.
Abu Dhabi Weather in August
Abu Dhabi’s average daytime maximum temperature in August is 40.2°C (140.4°F), with highs as much as a sweltering 48°C (118.4°F) and average lows overnight down to 32.8°C (91°F).
By mid-August, you really start to feel the humidity too, which sticks around until October. The “feels like” temperature, which includes the wind chill factor, can be significantly higher in August. It is not advisable to be out in direct sunlight during the peak of the day.
Although most days bring clear blue skies, sandstorms and a dusty haze are not uncommon in Abu Dhabi in August.
In August, you should expect sea temperatures on average of 33.8°C (92.8°F). Maximum sea temperatures are expected of 35°C (94°F) through to a minimum of 32.6°c (91.6°F).
It really feels like dipping into a spa in August; many prefer a hotel with a nice chilled pool at this time of year to negate the steamy ocean temperatures – not to mention how hot the sand gets! August is not a highly recommended beach month!
Make no mistake, no matter what time of year you visit Abu Dhabi, you will want a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses – you can find our full packing list tips for Abu Dhabi here.
Weather information sourced from the National Centre of Meteorology Climate Report 2003-2019 for Abu Dhabi Corniche and seatemperature.org
Abu Dhabi Special Events in August 2023
We are still updating this monthly guide to Abu Dhabi events for 2023 – New events will be added as they are publicized.
During August, there are relatively few major events but plenty of enticing hospitality specials to still encourage you to get out and about.
Many local expatriate workers disappear to their home countries during the hottest months, so you can grab great local hotel deals with no crowds.
Major Abu Dhabi events in August 2023
- The 17th to the 20th of August is International Basketball Week at the Etihad Arena. See teams from Egypt, Lebanon, Mexico, Germany, Greece, and the USA play in this exciting tournament. For more details, click here.
- ADNEC Abu Dhabi Summer Sports – offering plenty of ways to stay active indoors, 27,000 sqm have been transformed into sports space and running track from the 6 June to 20th August.
- Schools return – 28 August – proposed return date for public and private schools in the emirate. It is generally quieter for tourists once the schools return,
Suggested Abu Dhabi Activities in August
Given the intense heat of August beyond a resort pool, you are best sticking to indoor activities in August or enjoying the coolest weather of the day, early morning and evening.
If you’re keen to pick up some rays, we recommend you choose a beach club that also offers the relief of a chilled swimming pool and bar nearby. Some favourites include:
- Nation Riviera Beach Club at The St Regis
- Bayshore Beach Club at the InterContinental
- Saadiyat Beach Club
- West Bay Abu Dhabi at Radisson Blu
In terms of indoor attractions in Abu Dhabi, the following places have their doors open throughout summer:
- Louvre Abu Dhabi
- Qasr al Watan
- Observation 300 (Observation Deck and afternoon tea options at the Lobby Lounge)
For those who prefer something outdoors and active still, why not try a boating experience, operating from many different parts of the city:
- Pilot your own boat with Rhino Rides through the Mangroves
- Enjoy The Yellow Boats guided speed boat tour from the Corniche
Day Trips From Abu Dhabi in August
Some nearby experiences still within the Emirate of Abu Dhabi you could try include:
- A daycation to Narui Island – just a 10-minute speed boat from Saadiyat Island
- A daycation to Al Maya Island & Resort – boats depart from near the Palace
- Visit the (indoor) eclectic car collection at Emirates National Auto Museum
If you’d like to head further afield, there’s plenty still going on down the road in Dubai. Some Dubai indoor ideas for August include:
- See the Museum of the Future
- There are plenty of entirely indoor attractions around Dubai Mall and Downtown Dubai, including a trip to Burj Khalifa, the Dubai Aquarium, and Dubai Opera, or try Sky Views Observatory and Sky Walk for a glass-bottomed city slide!
Heading down the road to Dubai? You can check out more of what’s happening in Dubai in August here
Abu Dhabi With Kids in August
Keeping the kids entertained in the heat can be tough. Why not try one of the indoor theme parks on Yas Island?
We recommend for your tweens and thrill-seekers try CLYMB Abu Dhabi, an indoor rocking centre and indoor skydiving experience attached to Yas Mall.
You can also try the great theme park collection of:
Although Yas Waterworld is outdoors, you’ll still find it slightly refreshing in August with chilled water. Ferrari World and WB World are both entirely indoors.
You can find a great detailed guide to everything to do with kids in Abu Dhabi over the summer here.
For convenience, we recommend staying at one of nearby the Yas Hotels, where you’ll also get access to Yas Beach. Newcomer Hilton Abu Dhabi on Yas Island is proving very popular with theme park stay and play packages available.
Closer to town, you may also want to check out the new National Aquarium in Al Qana, or the small but hands-on and entertaining National Geographic Ultimate Explorer in Galleria Mall. Or, you could opt to cool down at the brand new Snow Abu Dhabi where the temperature is always a chilly 2° C.
For a little adrenaline rush, why not try the Velocity Slides at World Trade Centre mall?
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
This is a travel blog, we are not a travel agency. We cannot arrange your Abu Dhabi trip for you but provide you with helpful planning tools and resources to self-plan your dream trip. This page is not sponsored, but some links may earn us an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner