A.K.A. Sheikh Hamad bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Auto World
One of Abu Dhabi’s quirky and lesser-known highlights sits 45 km away from the city, on the way to the Liwa Desert.
An unusual pyramid-shaped building in the desert houses the personal auto collection of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Hamdan Al Nahyan. The collection is extensive and eclectic from classic off-road vehicles to American streetcars, modern electric vehicles and lots of weird and wonderful record-breaking custom builds. The cars were procured from across the world and include special editions, luxury cars and production vehicles.
Some of the more curious exhibits among the 200+ cars on display include:
- A giant caravan of “the World”
- The world’s largest caravan – a 20m long, 122-tonne giant!
- A replica of a 1950’s Dodge Power Wagon – at 8x the original it’s the World’s Largest Truck (it has an apartment inside!)
- A rainbow collection of S-class Mercedes
- Giant Jeep Wrangler in the desert
Worth a trip on its own? We think it depends on how much you love cars! Most will make it a fun stop on their way through from Abu Dhabi city into the Liwa desert. It’s an easy half-day trip on its own, allow 45 minutes driving each way from Downtown Abu Dhabi and maybe 60 – 90 minutes for an in-depth look around.
Need to know visiting Emirates National Museum
- Opening hours 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, seven days a week. Lunch break 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm (but subject to change! Best to call ahead +971557492155).
- Entry fee: AED 50 (Approx US$13.60), children under 10 enter for free.
- There is a cafeteria outside the museum but opening hours seem a little sporadic, best plan your own snacks.
- Abu Dhabi – Liwa Road (Hamim Road E65), Al Dhafra [GPS 24.083333 54.416665] it is well sign posted coming off the E11.
- Further Information at https://www.enam.ae/