Looking for some hopping good fun to celebrate Easter this year?
Although Abu Dhabi is in a Muslim country, make no mistake, just like Christmas, Easter is a big celebration that is observed by the local expat community.
Whether you are a big believer in the Easter Bunny still or simply look at it as a fantastic family opportunity to gather with your loved ones, there’s usually plenty going on around Abu Dhabi to help you celebrate in the sunshine.
Will things be different, though in 2023?
We will be updating this guide soon for 2024 events as they are announced – stay tuned!
Easter Dates for 2023
For Catholics, Good Friday will occur on Friday, 7 April, and Easter Sunday will fall on Sunday, 9 April 2023.
Orthodox Easter will be marked on April 16, 2023.
Easter in Abu Dhabi During Ramadan 1444
Whilst Easter does indeed fall within the Islamic Holy Month of Ramadan this year, laws have changed in recent years that no longer prevent hospitality venues and eateries across the city from serving food and drink during the day to non-Muslims who are not observing the period of day time fasting.
Whilst it is still polite to not eat and drink in front of those fasting, venues across the city have the ability to host daytime events in designated areas. The advertising for this year’s Easter events was quite late (we think restaurants making sure there were no last-minute policy u-turns!), but we’re delighted to share with you below the events we know will be occurring in 2023.
Easter dates in future years
If you’re looking well ahead with your travel planning, Easter 2024 will fall on 31 March 2024 (in Ramadan) and April 20, 2025 (outside of Ramadan). Here’s the forward outlook for important religious dates in Abu Dhabi:
|Sunday 9 April
|March 23 – April 22
|Sunday 31 March
|March 11 – April 10
|Sunday 20 April
|March 1 – March 31
|Sunday 5 April
|February 18 – March 18
A compromise may be to align your Easter celebration with the evening breaking of the fast, Iftar. This could make for a great harmonious cross-faith celebration for friends.
Unlike Islamic religious dates, which aren’t confirmed until moon sightings occur, Easter is fixed in advance based on known moon cycles.
The United Arab Emirates enjoys a stellar reputation as a country that promotes tolerance of all religions but remember, it’s a two-way street; celebrate your religious occasions by all means, but bear in mind it’s a time of reflection and deep faith for Muslims. Your job as a visitor to the country is to provide a respectful environment for this to occur.
Weather in Abu Dhabi at Easter
Spring, around Easter time, has traditionally been one of the best times of year for visitors to Abu Dhabi due to exceptionally nice weather for sun-seekers.
Easter falls on the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or after the Spring Equinox. This, generally speaking, means Catholic Easter falls between late March and early April most years.
As Easter is a little later in 2023, on 9 April 2023, you can expect very warm weather in Abu Dhabi, with daytime highs up to 35°C (95°F) and lows overnight of around 19°C (66°F).
It is advisable not to be out in the direct sun during the peak of the day in April in Abu Dhabi, or if you are, apply plenty of sunscreen and bring your hat and sunglasses.
Water temperatures still remain a little on the cool side in Abu Dhabi at Easter, though those coming from cooler climates will likely find it absolutely delightful with water temperatures around 25-27°C. (Most large resorts will have temperature-controlled pools if it’s still a little chilly for your liking at Easter time in Abu Dhabi).
Easter also often aligns with local and international school breaks, only increasing the popularity of visiting this time of year. Expect it to be BUSY and prices sky-high for accommodation for Easter 2023, if you can get any!!
- You can find our favourite beachfront hotels in Abu Dhabi here, or why not try a desert retreat for something extra special this April?
Easter Brunches in Abu Dhabi
Unlike previous years when many easter egg hunts and family brunches were advertised well in advance, the coincidence this year with the Holy Month has definitely subdued activity, and usually advertised events have been late coming. Here’s what we know is happening so far!
The Gala Easter Brunch – Rosewood Abu Dhabi
Enjoy a relaxing Sunday afternoon affair with a wonderful Easter Brunch spread with an international menu theme in the spectacular Aqua restaurant and terrace of the Hidden Bar.
Kids will be entertained with Easter egg painting and indulgent sweet treats on the dessert table. Live music and entertainment are still on the cards for a lively celebration with family and friends.
- 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM, Sunday 9 April 2023
- Packages start from AED 365 House. Complimentary pool access included and mandatory upfront payment
- Further information firstname.lastname@example.org or call +971 (0)2 813 5550
Park Hyatt – Saadiyat Island
Alongside their incredible Ramadan tent offering for Iftar and Suhoor, they will also be running one of the best Easter Brunches in the capital. Held at The Cafe Restaurant, with a few extra Easter touches and taking account of the warmer weather.
- Packages from AED 375 per adult
- Sunday 9 April, 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM
- See their events page, or call 02 407 1234.
Fairmont Bab Al Bahr Easter Brunch
Bringing you the flavours of the world with a stunning combination of dishes from traditional roast and seafood, through to Italian dishes and Maco Pierre White Steakhouse and Grill serving up succulent steaks.
The Easter lineup at Fairmont includes face painting and a surprise visit from the Easter Bunny, along with an Easter Egg hunt.
- Sunday, 9 April 2023 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Packages start from AED 315 for soft, including pool access; kids 6 to 12 are 50% off.
- For reservation, call +971 2 654 3333 or email email@example.com.
Easter Picnic on the Grass at Saadiyat Beach Golf Club
Enjoy a wonderful picnic on the grass this Easter at the Capital’s premier golf club on the beach. Their Easter package includes a buffet with drinks and live music, whilst younger guests will enjoy an Easter egg hunt, face painting, and bouncy castle.
- Sunday, 9 April 2023, 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Packages start from AED 220 for members through to house packages for guests at AED 320. Kids 5 to 12 AED 140; 4 and below free.
- Reservations call 050 757 4808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Egg-citing Easter Brunch at Fairways
Always a family-friendly affair at Fairways, enjoy a traditional roast at Easter Brunch overlooking the Abu Dhabi Golf Club course. A visit from the Easter Bunny is bound to please the littles, along with live entertainment, face painting and more.
- Sunday 9 April 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM
- Prices start from AED 229 soft to AED 559 bubbles; kids AED 125 or under 5 free.
- Reservations call 02 616 9999
Easter Lunch Special at LPM Restaurant & Bar – Galleria
A carefully curated lunchtime menu can be enjoyed, along with an Easter celebration for children on the terrace with chocolates and egg painting.
- Lunch – Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th April (no set menu)
- Reservations call 02 692 9600
Belgian Beer Cafe – InterContinental
Saturday Brunch (8th April) with the Easter Bunny and an Easter egg hunt on the lawn with indoor and outdoor seating options. Pricing and timing TBC.
Project Brunch – St Regis Corniche
Hosting a special Easter Sunday Brunch on the 9th of April – details and pricing TBC
West Bay Lounge – Raddison Blu Abu Dhabi Corniche
Easter Brunch with an Easter egg hunt is on the cards again for 2023. With their relaxed poolside setting, live cooking stations and food stalls there’s always a great beachside vibe to enjoy at West Bay Lounge.
- Sunday, 9 April, 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Packages from AED 249, kids AED 125
- For reservations, call 054 586 4442
Graphos Social Kitchen – Hilton Yas Island
A promise of a great Easter brunch this year – we await details and timing
Verso – Grand Hyatt
‘La Famiglia’ Easter Brunch will offer a sumptuous spread of traditional favorites and Easter-themed desserts, all in a warm, inviting atmosphere, while the little ones have their own share of fun with an exciting egg hunt.
- Sunday, 9 April 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Soft packages start from AED 220
- Reservations online.
Pardon My Brunch – Conrad Etihad Towers
The great British Brunch is back with a distinctly Easter twist this weekend. Live Music per their usual program will continue throughout Ramadan, and you’ll be treated to live cooking stations and easter treats. The Easter Bunny himself has promised to make an appearance and an Easter egg hunt for your littles.
- Saturday, 8 April 12:30 PM to 4:00 PM
- Packages start from AED 375; kids 6 to 12 AED 200
- For reservations, call 02 811 5555 or book online.
Easter Events in Abu Dhabi
Easter Day Market – Reem Island
Hosted by Seven Wellness on Reem Island, this afternoon/evening event on Easter Sunday will be a great one to get the kids involved if you don’t want a sit-down meal (and for any fasting families who still enjoy Easter activities, the timings are perfect as things will still be going on after Iftar).
As well as market stalls, expect a magic show, art workshops, face painting, pizza making station, vegan treats, and tons of fun for your little ones.
- Sunday 9 April, 4:30 PM to 11:00 PM
- B1 Marina Bay 1, Reem Island
Marina Hop, Yas Marina – Yas Island
Hop along to Yas Marina on Easter Sunday afternoon for a kid-centric lineup of events, including the Easter Bunny arrival by boat!
Supervised activities include face painting, hat decorating, and giant Jenga. The promenade will have a bunny-shaped maze and huge colouring mural, while children will be able to participate in egg and spoon races, ring toss games, and other carnival-style activities on the main lawn.
- Sunday, 9 April 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- Activities are free for kids aged 3 to 12 years
- Register online to win annual Silver Yas theme park passes.
This list was initially compiled in mid-March 2023. As we hear of any further events for the 2023 Easter lineup, we’ll update you accordingly – or email email@example.com to provide details of your event.
We have not heard from any of the major shopping malls yet either if they will be running their usual activities, including easter egg hunts, crafts, and egg painting, as we usually see at this time of year. You will find numerous Ramadan events going on, however, over the spring term break.
NB – tourist attractions and entertainment venues will often have altered opening hours during the Holy Month; always check in advance to avoid disappointment
Church Services in Abu Dhabi For Easter 2023
We are aware of the following churches that may have special services this year – please enquire with each for Mass and order of service in your denomination:
- St Joseph’s Cathedral Abu Dhabi
- St Andrew’s Church
- St Paul’s Catholic Church, Massafah
- Evangelical Community Church of Abu Dhabi
Other Easter Food and Gifting in Abu Dhabi
If you’re on the hunt for chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs, hot cross buns and other delicacies you may love from your home country, here’s where to go hunting:
- M&S is always a great starting point. There’s a relatively large M&S Food at Yas Mall, where you’ll find hot cross buns and a variety of chocolate treats.
- Almost any supermarket, hypermarket or minimart can help you with basics like chocolate easter eggs. Spinneys and Waitrose will stock popular overseas brands too.
- Crafty supplies, you’ll find the best range at Creative Minds, near ADNEC.
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Check the most up-to-date COVID entry rules for Abu Dhabi.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner