Dedicated to the pursuit of peaceful coexistence, the Abrahamic Family House is a place for learning, dialogue and worship. Situated on Abu Dhabi’s Saadiyat Island, it is a wonderful place to add to your Abu Dhabi itinerary.
What to Expect at Abrahamic Family House
Open to the public since March 2023; there are three Houses of Worship to discover within the grounds of Abrahamic Family House:
- Imam Ahmed El-Tayeb Mosque
- Moses Ben Maimon Synagogue
- St Francis Church
Designed by Sir David Adjaye OM OBE, each is equal in size – 30 metres high, 30 metres wide and 30 metres tall. Each is angled slightly differently for religious significance and has slightly different internal and external architectural features to admire. However, each is built with the same materials, and there is no hierarchy nor supremacy.
After checking in, you enter through a central Forum and then explore each of the Houses of Worship. There is also a central garden to explore and a small cafe. Staff are also providing visitors with Arabic coffee and sweets to try at the conclusion of your tour.
You may also like to leave a “message on intention” to reflect on your experience.
How to Visit the Abrahamic Family House
It is completely free to visit as non-worshippers; all you need to do is register your interest in advance. You can wonder the grounds yourself or join a free guided tour
You will be asked to set up an account first, so you need a mobile number to get an OTP. You’ll see all available time slots every 20 minutes from 10:00 AM to 4:40 PM. (Don’t worry that the online system mentions tickets and invoices/receipts; the amount comes to 0 AED).
Tour Times for Abrahamic Family House
- Open hours for the public are Tuesday to Sunday, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Tours are conducted in either English or Arabic and last approximately 40 minutes.
- Signage is in Arabic, English and Hebrew.
- The Abrahamic Family House is closed on Mondays.
- Visitors should arrive 10 minutes before their allotted times – late arrivals may not be accommodated.
Entry Rules to Be Aware Of
- Bags larger than 10cm x 20 cm x 30 cm must be checked
- You will need to pass through a metal detector and luggage X-ray
- An adult must accompany children under 13; Children are welcome, but parents must be mindful of children’s behaviour in keeping with the venue.
- People of Determination are permitted free with one companion
- Wheelchairs and strollers are permitted, but double strollers will not be allowed due to size constraints. Most of the sites of interest are on one level surface, though a lift is needed to access the garden.
What Should I Wear to the Abrahamic Family House?
Visitors should dress modestly and respectfully for all of the buildings at Abrahamic House, taking particular note that females MUST have their heads covered for the Mosque. You are requested to follow these guidelines, or you will be denied entry:
- The body should be fully covered between the neck, elbows, and ankles.
- No offensive or politically motivated t-shirts, hats, or clothing items are permitted.
- Avoid clingy clothes and anything that has distracting noises and reflections.
- The Mosque only requires ladies to cover their heads, and all visitors must remove their shoes.
- A headscarf can be borrowed at reception, though it may be limited in number and for hygiene reasons, bringing your own is preferable.
- Ablutions before entering the mosque and synagogue are not required by visitors.
Worshipper Timings for Abrahamic Family House
- Mosque – as per Awqaf prayer timings for Abu Dhabi
- Church – 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM (Mass Sunday noon; Tuesday – Saturday 6:30 PM)
- Synagogue – 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Worshippers do not need to pre-book their visit.
Where to Find Abrahamic Family House
The Abrahamic Family House is on Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi, in an area known as the Saadiyat Cultural District. It is just off the E12 Freeway, easily accessible within 10 minutes of Downtown Abu Dhabi and a little over an hour from the Dubai Marina end of Dubai.
By private car, there is a large undercover parking area.
Alternatively, by bus, you can take route 94 from Al Wadha Central Bus Station.
- Visitors wishing to learn more can contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 657 5900
- Eminence Ahmed El-Tayeb Mosque: email@example.com
- St.Francis Church: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moses Ben Maimon Synagogue: email@example.com
What Else is There to See & Do on Saadiyat
Although much of the Saadiyat Cultural District remains under construction, many of the buildings are already open to visit.
- The Louvre Abu Dhabi would make a lovely place to visit on the same day – the two venues are within walking distance in the cooler months – learn more about visiting Louvre Abu Dhabi.
- Manarat Al Saadiyat often has temporary exhibits and hosts the annual Abu Dhabi Art Fair.
- Mamsha Al Saadiyat is a nearby luxury waterfront lifestyle and dining destination, perfect for breakfast before your visit or lunch after, with a great range of cafes and casual dining opening onto Saadiyat Beach.
- If you want to finish your cultural day in the sun, you can also park at Mamsha al Saadiyat for access to Soul Beach.
Options will be considerably expanded in years to come with construction well underway for:
- The Guggenheim Abu Dhabi
- Zayed National Museum
- TeamLab Phenomena Abu Dhabi
- Natural History Museum
Before you go… Important things to consider when planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page; it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner