The news we’ve been long awaiting; at last, we can freely move around the emirate of Abu Dhabi in public spaces without the need for a “green pass,” nor masks, as almost all COVID restrictions have been lifted.
In the next stage of recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, The National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority (NCEMA) announced on 6 November that effective from 6:00 AM on 7 November 2022, a Green Pass on Al Hosn is no longer required to enter public places.
#NCEMA: Today, we announce the second phase of the easing of restrictions, after studying the epidemiological situation in the country while monitoring occupancy rates in hospitals and intensive care for #COVID19 cases.— NCEMA UAE (@NCEMAUAE) November 6, 2022
Since August 2021, the need to provide a “Green Pass” on an app called Al Hosn was compulsory for all residents and visitors to show they had been recently PCR tested and were negative for COVID-19 as part of strict public safety measures.
The requirement to wear masks in most indoor situations was removed on 28 September 2022.
What COVID Rules Still Apply in Abu Dhabi?
Whilst this comes as great news, visitors to Abu Dhabi should still be aware of the following:
- Face masks are only mandatory in health facilities and centers for people of determination.
- In all other open and closed facilities, the wearing of face masks is now optional.
- COVID-19 PCR testing and healthcare facilities will continue to operate.
- If you do contract COVID in Abu Dhabi, there is still a compulsory 5-day isolation period.
- Sports events and activities may still request pre-examinations or vaccination certificates in accordance with the type and importance of the activity.
You can find all the past and present COVID rules and requirements for Abu Dhabi here
So What Next for Abu Dhabi?
A packed events calendar is already scheduled for winter 2022-23 with a huge wine up from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix taking place on 20 November through to the stage sensation, The Lion King debuting at Etihad Arena and more garden-style concerts and festivals than you can imagine!
Find out more about upcoming events here:
- Abu Dhabi Weather & Events November 2022
- Abu Dhabi Weather & Events December 2022
- Abu Dhabi Weather & Events January 2023
- Abu Dhabi Weather & Events February 2023
- Abu Dhabi Weather & Events March 2023
- Ramadan in the UAE 2023
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Check the most up-to-date COVID entry rules for Abu Dhabi.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner