Whilst we should make time throughout the year to show our mums how much we appreciate them, Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to do something really special for your mum to show her how much you love her.
The UAE officially celebrates Mother’s Day On March 21st every year. This year, Mother’s Day falls on a Thursday, so many people may choose to celebrate either the weekend before or the weekend after.
Many expats in Abu Dhabi celebrate their own official Mother’s Day as well, or instead of the UAE’s official day dedicated to mothers.
- For the United Kingdom, Mother’s Day always falls on the 4th Sunday of Lent. This year (2024), it will be celebrated on March 10th, which is a little earlier than the UAE Mother’s Day.
- For many countries (including the US, Canada, Australia, India, and the Philippines – primary expat populations in the UAE), Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May – this year (2024), it will be marked on May 12th.
If you and your mum are in Abu Dhabi at this time, there are simply loads of lovely things that you can do for, or even better with, your mother to show her how much you appreciate her.
Mother’s Day in Abu Dhabi: Take Her For Afternoon Tea
Many of the events listed below were 2023; we are awaiting confirmation from several venues if these events will be repeated in 2024; note that pricing and timing information will likely be our of date.
Abu Dhabi hotels are famous for their sumptuous afternoon teas. Enjoy delicate sandwiches, delicious little pastries and cakes, and fluffy scones with jam and cream, washed down with your choice of exotic teas and perhaps even a glass of bubbly or two.
Most hotels offer an afternoon tea, but you can find out more about some of the best here.
Mother’s Day in Abu Dhabi: Enjoy A Top-notch Meal Together
There are endless fine dining options in Abu Dhabi. Who wouldn’t want to sample Michelin-star cuisine at the Emirates Palace or scoff delicious Levantine delicacies by the sea at Tean (Jumeirah Saadiyat)?
Many of the wonderful restaurants at the hotels on Saadiyat Island have sea views and a relaxed yet sophisticated vibe. Equally, Coya at the Four Seasons on Al Maryah Island and Villa Toscana at St. Regis on the Corniche offers exceptional dining experiences.
Alternatively, head to Yas Bay for an evening of fine dining, cocktails, and entertainment, where you’ll find everything from Middle Eastern to Japanese cuisine. You really are spoilt for culinary choice in this amazing international city!
Mother’s Day in Abu Dhabi: Treat Her To A Spa Day
There are endless spa day options in Abu Dhabi. Some of the best can be found on Saadiyat Island.
Atamia Spa at the Park Hyatt is a truly wonderful venue. The treatment room for couples is large and airy, and the changing area includes a large jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna. There is also a private pool for spa guests. Prices for a 60-minute massage start at AED 475, but various discounts and packages are available.
The Jumeirah Hotel on Saadiyat Island is currently offering a day of bliss and regeneration in their ‘Spa Celebration Package’. Priced at AED 1,500, the package includes a footpath, 2 hours of any spa treatments of choice (including massage, facial, hammam), 1 hour in a private spa facility (steam room, sauna, outdoor terrace), beach and pool access, afternoon tea, cakes and other refreshments. Other offers are also available. For more details, click here.
Treat Mum With A Visit Somewhere Beautiful
Some mums would just like a lovely day out and to visit somewhere interesting and beautiful. Why not visit the Shiekh Zayed Grand Mosque or take a tour of Qasr Al Watan before taking lunch in a nice cafe close by?
Mother’s Day in Abu Dhabi: Go On A Boat Trip
There are many boat trip options in Abu Dhabi. Perhaps a dhow cruise along the Abu Dhabi Corniche at sunset would be the perfect way to say thanks to your mum.
Or maybe a day trip to Al Maya Island for a day of relaxing on the beach might be the treat that your mum needs. Alternatively, an overnight stay at Nurai Island is the ultimate thank you but comes with a rather hefty price tag. To check prices for Nurai Island, click here.
Mother’s Day in Abu Dhabi: Have Fun In The Desert
The weather is still lovely in March, so why not take Mum out into the desert to one of the beautiful desert resorts for a luxurious yet somewhat traditional UAE experience? Ride camels, see falconry displays, climb the dunes and watch the sunset, enjoy traditional food and entertainment under the stars, and make beautiful memories!
Qasr Al Sarab, pictured below, is at the more luxurious and more expensive end of the desert resort scale, but there are less expensive, more intimate options if you want to try your hand at glamping.
It’s Not All About Big Extravagant Gestures
There are lots of deals around this Mother’s Day that are sure to please mum and well as your pocket. Here are a few of the special offers available:
- Many of the local flower and chocolate shops will be putting together special arrangements for Mother’s Day. Le Chocolat, with branches across the city, never fails to please with its selection of beautifully wrapped chocolates and Arabic sweets.
- The Middle East’s premium brand, Patchi, has also put some lovely gifts together for mums this year.
- There are numerous florists around the city, and many are happy to deliver for a small fee. Flowers.AE has a huge variety of beautiful bouquets on offer available for same-day delivery. Prices start at 275 AED.
- Alternatively, you can find a range of bouquets and gift packages starting from as little as 30 AED on the Kibsons website.
- The Rosewood Hotel on Al Maryah Island is a great place to treat your mum this Mother’s Day. A special Afternoon Tea composed with mothers in mind will be available throughout March, priced at 230 AED per person. The Spa is offering an Argan and Honey hydration package with a complimentary gift set for 800 AED as well as a special Mother and Daughter Afternoon Tea and Votary Facial package for 1,300 AED. For more details, click here.
- The Saadiyat Rotana has also put together a spa and afternoon tea package, which includes a 45-minute massage, use of the pool and beach facilities, and an afternoon tea in the Suma lobby lounge for 365 AED. The offer is available throughout March. For more details, click here.
Other Offers TBC for 2024
There are sure to be lots of other great offers around. These were offers available in 2022. The exact offers for 2023 are still to be confirmed:
- Osmo Lounge at the Hilton Yas Island is offering a special Mother’s Day afternoon tea with 30% off any spa treatments booked at Eforea Spa. The price for afternoon tea is AED 250 for two people. TBC for 2024
- The Mermaid Beachfront Restaurant – A special four-course set menu – Mums eat for free when accompanied by two paying adults, AED 299 per adult. TBC for 2024
- Teatro, Park Rotana – Mums dining at Teatro receive a complimentary platter of starters when ordering from the A la Carte Menu. TBC for 2024
- Complimentary Lunch at Novotel Abu Dhabi for Mums accompanied by another adult. TBC for 2024
If you would like to list a special offer from your establishment or know about a special offer that you’d like to share, contact us at email@example.com
Mother’s Day Dates in Abu Dhabi & the UAE
Note that this year, UAE Mother’s Day will fall during the Month of Ramadan 1445, the Holy Month on the Hijri calendar.
For the next few years, it will fall within Ramadan. This will impact daytime food service and available specials – they will no doubt still be available, but possibly you’ll need to wait until evenings to celebrate this special day with your mother.
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Check the most up-to-date COVID entry rules for Abu Dhabi.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner
Feature image credit: Sense, a Rosewood Spa