Everything you need to know about visiting Abu Dhabi in September
Abu Dhabi experiences a hot and humid tail end to summer throughout September – cooler winter weather really doesn’t kick in until late October. Crowds are low and outside time is still limited, but the return of many expatriates and an influx of new joiners at this time of year still means there are plenty of special offers to enjoy around town.
September 2020 will, of course, be marked by ongoing restrictions due to Covid-19. Most hotels and restaurants have re-opened, however, entertainment remains limited and strict social distancing measures are in place. Not all tourist attractions have reopened, or those that have face capacity restrictions and may require pre-booking.
Further Reading: The best time of year to visit Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi weather in September
Abu Dhabi’s average day time maximum temperature in September is 37.4c (99.3F), with highs as much as 45c (113F) and average lows overnight down to 31c (87.8F). The “feels like” temperature which takes into account humidity can often be as high in September as it is in August.
In September, you should expect sea temperatures on average of 33.5c (92.3F). Maximum sea temperatures are expected of 34.6c (93.4F) through to a minimum 32.5c (91.3F).
Make no mistake, no matter what time of year you visit Abu Dhabi you will still want a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses – you can find our full packing list tips for Abu Dhabi here.
Weather information sourced from the National Centre of Meteorology Climate Report 2003-2019 for Abu Dhabi Corniche and seatemperature.org
Abu Dhabi special events in September
Whilst September normally see’s the return of the Abu Dhabi events calendar, September 2020 will be a lot quieter as social distancing measures remain in place and group gathering are not permitted.
Schools traditionally return in September so it is a quieter time of year at resorts and attractions than August – though you can expect weekends waterside to remain busy while families and locals try to beat the heat. There are no large events or public holidays planned for September 2020.
Suggested Abu Dhabi activities in September
While the weather remains extremely hot outside, you will want to restrict your outdoor activities to early mornings and evenings, but do mind the humidity too. For indoor entertainment we recommend:
Day trips from Abu Dhabi in September
It is not the best time of year to day trip beyond Abu Dhabi in the heat, however some nearby experiences you could try include:
- A daycation to Al Maya Island & Resort – boats depart from near the Palace
- A daycation to Zaya Narui Island – just a 10-minute speed boat from Saadiyat Island
- Take a tour of some of Al Ain’s historic attractions including the Al Ain Palace Museum and UNESCO Heritage Listed Al Ain Oasis.
Heading down the road to Dubai? You can check out more of what’s happening in Dubai in September here*
* Note that border restrictions continue to apply between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. There is no restriction on entering Dubai by road, but returning to Abu Dhabi Emirate you will require a Negative Covid test to present at the border. More on how the current Dubai/Abu Dhabi border process works here.
Abu Dhabi with kids in September
With a number of restrictions still placed on children’s entertainment venues and the weather limiting most activities to indoors in September, we’d suggest your best bet with kids is to enjoy the Yas Island Theme Parks and indoor entertainment at:
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here: