Everything you need to know about visiting Abu Dhabi in March
March is a wonderful time of the year to be in Abu Dhabi. Spring – such as it is in the UAE – briefly makes an appearance in March. Day time temperatures are warm but still cool a little in the evening for a refreshing break and there is plenty going on around town to see and do (in a usual year).
After November, it is probably our second favourite month of the year we recommend for visitors to come to Abu Dhabi!
Abu Dhabi weather in March
Abu Dhabi’s average day time maximum temperature in March is 27.1°C (80.8°F), with highs as much as 40.2°C (104.3°F) and average lows overnight down to 20.8°C (69.4°F).
In March, you should expect sea temperatures on average of 22.7°C (72.9°F). Temperatures can be as low as 20.8°C (71°F) in the water though to a maximum of 24.6°C (74.8°F). It is still a little brisk in the water even though the outside air is significantly heating up during the day.
It’s not unusual in March to still experience some rainstorms and dust storms. We wouldn’t be packing the umbrella ‘just in case’, but on a rare occasion, you might find yourself needing to seek cover and quickly change plans to an indoor day.
Whatever time of year you visit Abu Dhabi you will still want a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses – you can find our full packing list tips for Abu Dhabi here.
Weather information sourced from the National Centre of Meteorology Climate Report 2003-2019 for Abu Dhabi Corniche and seatemperature.org
Abu Dhabi special events in March 2021
During March there is usually a lot of festivals and events happening around town however strict COVID-19 safety measures see a pretty clear calendar in 2021.
We will update this page should any new community events be announced but it is expected restrictions on entertainment and group gatherings will last throughout the month.
- Al Dhafra Water Sports Festival from 25 March to 3 April 2021 the 12th Edition of this heritage event will tae place at Al Mirfa Beach
Suggested Abu Dhabi activities in March
March is our favourite month for island exploration – warm weather and refreshing dips in the Gulf waters.
Did you know Abu Dhabi has over 200 islands? In fact, the main city is an island! Most visitors will likely be familiar with Saadiyat Island and Yas Island, but there are plenty of new islands, and some a little further away from town vying for your attention too.
- Why not try an Abu Dhabi sightseeing cruise from either Emirates Palace Marina or Yas Marina with Yellow Boats
- Visit the exclusive luxury island Zaya Nauri – day trips with brunch on a weekend or stay at the resort.
- For a more serene experience, try kayaking in the mangroves taking you to some of the city’s most beautiful nature spots
Day trips from Abu Dhabi in March
Keeping with our island theme, if you want to head beyond Abu Dhabi city, this is the perfect time of year to head west and visit Sir Bani Yas Island. Sitting off the coast from Ruwais, from the Jebel Dhanna Jetty you are transported by ferry to one of the UAE’s largest nature reserves.
Another top suggestion for March while it’s not too hot is to head south to Abu Dhbai’s second largest ity Al Ain. The Garden City or Oasis City as it’s also known is home to the UAE’s only currently listed UNESCO World Heritage site, which actually incorporates several sites – 7 “oases” spotted all over the city, the
The best thing to try at this time of year is Glamping in Abu Dhabi – there are a few spots to be found really close to the city and some further afield – check them all out here in our complete guide to Abu Dhabi glamping.
Abu Dhabi with kids in March
With on going COVID-19 restirctions, parks and outdoor spaces are the winning formula for kids in 2021. The weather is still cool enough in March to be out in all but the peak of the day. Not all play areas are open still, but there are plenty of ways you can enjoy the outdoors. Why not try these venues around the city:
- Umm Al Emarat Park in the centre of Abu Dhabi island is always a winner for kids activities. With social distancing measures in place, you can enjoy all the parks regular features from the botanic gardens to the small splash park, wadis, or seasonal events. Running in Winter 2021 is the fun kid’s feature of BOUNCE for outdoor trampolining fun, or try the FREE outdoor cinema running throughout March.
- Jubail Mangrove Park – our go-to outdoor venue for getting some fresh air this winter. Whether you come at high tide and enjoy the serene aqua waters or come around low tide to see the sea life scampering beneath, it’s one of Abu Dhabi’s most beautiful new features for families to explore.
- Al Hudayriyat Island – Keep enjoying the outdoor features of Abu Dhabi’s latest family opening. From the high adrenaline activities at Circuit X High Ropes Course, BMX Park & Skate Park to the more serene Heritage trail that loops along the coast ending at the Marsana beach and food trucks, its the perfect place to enjoy the fresh spring weather in Abu Dhabi
Before you go… Important things to consider planning a trip to Abu Dhabi
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Abu Dhabi, a handy guide on what to pack as well as top tips for first-timers on the dos and don’ts, laws, and customs in the UAE.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!
- Discover the best places to stay in Abu Dhabi, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links.Abu Dhabi Travel Planner
Feature image credit CanvaPro